What to bring to the hospital
General information about things to bring to the hospital can be found in our patient guide.
As a new parent, there are a few extra items you’ll probably want. It’s a good idea to have a bag packed ahead of time with some of the essentials, including:
- Music to play during labor, if desired.
- Two nursing bras and nursing pads (even if not breastfeeding, these are important for helping you feel more comfortable).
- Toiletries and personal items for staying overnight.
- Headbands or hair ties (clips may poke you).
- Focal point item—something you like to look at that you can use during relaxation breathing (picture, flower, photo of loved one).
- Child safety seat for the car.
- “Going-home outfit” and hat for baby.
- Receiving blankets to help position baby in the car seat.
- A warm bathrobe and slippers.
- Heavier blanket (depending on the season).
- Sugar-free candy or lozenges to prevent a dry mouth.