Breastfeeding is a natural way of providing your newborn baby with rich nutrition. Breast milk contains antibodies and nutrients that will help to keep your baby healthy for the first six months.
To support mothers in providing the best nutrition for their newborns, Salem Health offers a variety of breastfeeding/lactation services to both new mothers during their stay and in the community.
- Internationally board-certified lactation consultants
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes for moms and families
- Free breastfeeding support groups
- One on one breastfeeding consultations
- All registered nurses are trained in lactation
- Breast pump in each suite for your convenience
- On site pharmacy carries electric breast pumps and supplies
- For mothers choosing to bottle feed, hospital staff will provide advice that includes how to mix formula, what type of formula to use, and how to hold the baby,
Breastfeeding support group
A breastfeeding support group is available at no charge for any mother needing follow up assistance, regardless of where you delivered.
“Mom and Me” Breastfeeding Support:
Salem - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (except holidays) 1 to 2:30 p.m.
Salem Health Community Health Education Center (CHEC)
Salem Hospital campus, Bldg D, first floor Classroom 2
Dallas - Thursdays (except holidays) 1 to 2:30 p.m.
West Valley Hospital, Dallas
If you have questions and wish to speak with a lactation consultant or wish to schedule a private consultation, please call 503-814-4539. There is a fee for a one-on-one consultation; some insurance policies will cover the cost.