Many employers have plans to help their shift workers stay better rested. The goal is to lessen the effects of shift work on the workers’ body clocks.
This keeps them healthier overall, as well as safer on the job. Some of the techniques used by employers include the following:
- Reducing the number of times a worker changes shifts
- Changing shifts forward in time instead of backward
- Giving the workers regular rest periods
- Offering employees the option of exercise breaks
- Using bright light to imitate sunlight