Am I a candidate for surgery?
In order to have weight loss surgery at Salem Hospital, you must meet several requirements:
We have these requirements because surgery is a very serious and aggressive treatment for morbid obesity. Candidates must be equipped psychologically and emotionally to succeed in lifelong behavioral and dietary changes.
Steps before surgery
Not sure how to get started? Here are some of the steps you'll need to go through before your surgery.
1. Ask your insurance company about your coverage.
2. Attend an information session.
3. Complete a medical evaluation with one of our surgeons. Please bring medical records that show your earlier attempts at nonsurgical weight loss (including physician-supervised programs) to this appointment. (We also have a form your physician can fill out, if needed.)
4. Lose weight. Your commitment to losing weight starts long before you enter an operating room. After your evaluation with the surgeon and before surgery, we require a 5 percent weight loss under the supervision of our clinic. There are two reasons for this:
- First, it shows your commitment to a lifestyle change and dedication to your health. Both are essential to your long-term success.
- Second, preoperative weight loss helps shrink the left lobe of the liver, which makes the surgery easier—and safer—to perform.