Help with billing and insurance
Medical bills can be confusing, so we’ve answered the most commonly asked questions here. If your question isn’t answered, please call Salem Health’s billing office at 503-814-BILL (2455) Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Q: I went to the emergency room once, but got three bills. Why?
Most doctors at Salem Health facilities aren’t employees of the hospital. This means that you will get one bill from the hospital for hospital services (such as equipment), one bill from the doctor who cared for you directly, and, potentially, a third bill from other service providers, such as the radiologist who looked at your X-rays.
Q: The doctor who saw me in my room is out-of-network with my insurance. Why do I have to pay higher charges for the physician when the hospital is in-network?
Most physicians are not hospital employees, so they operate their practices independently. The physician and insurance company may or may not have a business relationship with each other.
Q: When will I get my bill?
Statements are sent after your insurance has processed and considered all charges on your bill. Once final processing has occurred and your share of the cost is known, a statement will be mailed to you.
If you do not have insurance, a statement will be mailed approximately five days after the final service or discharge date.
Q: Can I pay with a credit card?
Yes, Salem Health accepts all major credit cards (Visa, Discover, MasterCard, and American Express). There are several options:
- In person on the main hospital campus in Building A, at the guest services information desk (503-814-1100).
- By phone. Call patient financial services at 503-814-BILL (2455).
- If you’re paying an emergency room bill from an independent physician, contact Emergency Physicians Billing at 866-935-9774.
- At the Salem Health website, using Salem Health Guest Pay. You will need your account number and the guarantor or patient name to complete the form.
- Through your MyChart account. Log in to Salem Health MyChart here.
Q: Which insurances does Salem Health accept?
We accept all insurances. We are in-network with Medicare, Medicaid and most major insurances. It is recommended that you contact your insurance company for verification of network status.
Q: Where do I find my account number?
Salem Health's account/billing statements are designed to give you all the information you need on one convenient place. More information: How to read your Salem Health bill (PDF)
Q: How do I get a cost estimate for the services I plan to receive?
- Call 503-814-2678 (COST). Please first ask your doctor for as much specific information as possible (such as a procedure code). This provides a more accurate estimate for procedures, such as knee surgery, that can be performed using several different methods that each have a different cost.
- Learn more about good faith estimates and protections against surprise medical bills.
Q: I am having financial difficulty and need help. Who can I contact?
We want to help you find ways to afford your care. Please call our financial advocate team at 503-562-4357 (HELP). We provide financial discounts if you qualify, based on household information.
Click here to read our charity care and financial policy in full.