Digital tomosynthesis breast imaging available
3D tech makes biopsies faster, more accurate
By Mary Ransome, director of imaging and lab administration
We are pleased to announce that digital tomosynthesis breast imaging (also called three-dimensional mammography) is available at Salem Hospital. We’re also the only imaging service in Salem to offer 3D stereotactic biopsies -- a faster, more accurate process.
Salem Health West Valley Hospital hasn’t started 3D breast imaging yet, so send 2D orders there.
What does this mean for patients? We will:
- Reduce call-backs due to false positives by 40% — an annual average reduction of 950 calls per year.
- Increase early detection of cancers by 15%.
- Detect 41% of the more invasive cancers.
- Salem Hospital is the only location in Salem providing high-resolution images, which are especially good for locating subtle masses and micro calcifications, which could result in earlier detection.
- Conduct biopsies with 3D images using the stereotactic biopsy table, which finds areas of concern more accurately and reduces the procedure time for patients.
There have been changes in the order nomenclature as noted below.
Salem Hospital breast imaging orders
- MAM3891 MAM DIAGNOSTIC LEFT 3D TOMO
- MAM3892 MAM DIAGNOSTIC RIGHT 3D TOMO
- MAM3893 MAM DIAGNOSTIC BILAT 3D TOMO
- MAM3894 MAM SCREEN BILAT 3D TOMO
- MAM3895 MAM SCREEN LEFT 3D TOMO - HX BREAST CA RIGHT
- MAM3896 MAM SCREEN RIGHT 3D TOMO - HX BREAST CA LEFT
- MAM3897 MAM SCREEN BILAT 3D TOMO - HX BREAST CA
West Valley breast imaging orders
- MAM2864 MAM DIAGNOSTIC LEFT 2D
- MAM2865 MAM DIAGNOSTIC RIGHT 2D
- MAM2853 MAM DIAGNOSTIC BILAT 2D
- MAM2857 MAM SCREEN BILAT 2D
- MAM2866 MAM SCREEN LEFT 2D - HX BREAST CA RIGHT
- MAM2867 MAM SCREEN RIGHT 2D - HX BREAST CA LEFT
- MAM2861 MAM SCREEN BILAT 2D- HX BREAST CA
If you have any questions or would like to visit the Breast Center to see the new equipment please feel free to reach out to Kate Large, lead mammography tech at 503-814-9730.